Mission Spotlight: Respire Haiti
I fell in love with Respire Haiti after I read the book Miracle on Voodoo Mountain by Megan Bourdeaux. Megan, at the age of 24, goes on a business trip to a medical clinic in Haiti in August 2010 and ends up on Bellevue Mountain in Gressier. There she sees the desperation of the children. They are hungry, some are working as child slaves. Many of them have lost one or both parents.
Megan goes back home to Louisiana, to a job she loves at a hospital. However, she keeps having dreams about the tree she saw on top of Bellevue Mountain during her visit. She feels that Haiti is calling her home and moves there with nothing but her suitcases.
Fast forward 5 years and take a look at what Megan and Respire Haiti have accomplished:
- A school was built that serves over 500 children.
- Sports fields were built. Among the students there are currently 140 soccer and tennis players.
- A Physical and Occupational program serves 50 children each week.
- A Mental Health program has seen 40 children.
- A sewing program called Fil Your Soul has been started for young women so that they can learn how to make goods to sell. This will provide much needed income for these women and their families.
In a place with few opportunities, these programs and facilities are life changing! There is no public education funding in Haiti, little medical care and few opportunities for organized sports. The school provides children with education that they previously could not access. The medical clinic provides physical and occupational therapy that was unheard of in the area. Sports give the children a fun and safe form of recreation and give them a chance to learn valuable leadership skills. All of these amazing programs are funded by donation.
How can you help?
- Fil Your Soul is would love to have a building to house all of their materials and give the ladies a space to work. The cost would be $4,000. E-mail email@example.com if you are interested in donating.
- Sponsor a student to attend school for $25/month or $300/year. Sign up here: http://www.respirehaiti.org/donate
- Respire Haiti’s tennis club needs $500.00 per month to pay their coach, tournament fees, etc. They are also taking donations for tennis balls and overgrips. E-mail Nich Bergstrom if you are interested in supporting this wonderful program: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Respire Haiti’s soccer club is looking for financial partnerships and/or equipment donations. E-mail Josh@respirehaiti.org if you are interested in this valuable ministry.
- Interested in going to Haiti and serving on a dental, medical or physical therapy team? E-mail email@example.com for more information.
Need more info? Check out Respire Haiti’s website for pictures and updates on their amazing programs: http://respirehaiti.org/
I can’t wait to see what this organization can do with your support!