Welcome to a new year! It’s always exciting to think about what the next 365 (or 366 this year) days holds! I had some time to ponder on my New Year’s Resolutions during Christmas break and starting a blog was one of the many I listed. Some of my resolutions have to do with self-care and caring for the home and others have to do with reaching out to others not only in my own circle but throughout the world.
I truly believe that self-care and loving others go hand in hand. Mark 12:31 states, “Love your neighbor as yourself.” My hope is to combine these two themes so that when we are reaching out to others we are doing it from the overflow of the love and peace we have inside of us. I am a notorious over planner and one of the other things I will strive for this year is being flexible with some of these resolutions. If I feel the need to add something, subtract it completely or move it to a new year, I want to give myself the grace to do that without feeling guilty. Here are some of the ways that I have planned to fill myself up and reach out to others this year (in no particular order):
- Listen for God – I will have nudges of things from time to time that I feel like I should be doing and sometimes I ignore them and sometimes I act on them. I hope to act on them more this year.
- Write to the child I sponsor through Compassion at least twice per month.
- Train for and run the Disney Princess 1/2 marathon (held in Orlando on Feb. 21) Yikes!!!
- Organize a part of my house for 15 min. each day.
- Decorate my house so that it is more my style (My style being Pottery Barn but my budget being Target 🙂 )
- Start a bullet journal
- Finish reading the Bible (I started the Bible in a year readings last year and got halfway through so now I am on the Bible in 2 Years reading plan. This is where grace for myself comes in)!
- Learn Spanish – We are traveling to Central America twice a year on mission trips and learning Spanish would be very helpful for getting to know the people we meet.
- Start a blog – check!
- Stick with a budget
- Lose weight
- Find mission opportunities
- Make cookies for people in the hotel down the street and invite them to the Christmas Eve service (this is one of those God nudges I have been ignoring).
Whew! It’s a good thing that we are still in January as I will need a year (or three) to tackle this list! I’m excited for you to join me on this adventure and I hope to not only provide useful tips for helping you to achieve your goals but to also receive great tips from all of you! Let’s make it a great year!