“I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” Psalm 119:11 (NIV) It is difficult to hide God’s Word in our heart if we don’t know it! A couple of weeks ago, I wrote a post about how I wanted to memorize 1 Corinthians 13:4-7. Check it out here. This week I want to give you some tips for memorizing Bible verses. Since Light N Hope is all about 15 minute strategies to find balance in your life, I recommend that you choose one of these strategies and use if for 15 minutes each day or try a different strategy each day for 15 minutes. You will be amazed at how much you can learn in 15 minutes! Here are some tips for memorizing Scripture:
- Print the verse out. This way you can take it with you everywhere you go. If you are standing in line at a store or waiting for your kids in the car line at school you can pull it out and work on memorizing it (multi-tasking at its finest).
- Hang the verse in your house. I have a chalkboard that hangs on my front door where I can write the verses that I am working on memorizing. This way, my entire family can see it and it is a great reminder as I leave the house.
- Write your verse out. Just like in school, writing will help you memorize your verse. It also helps you really think about each word more since writing out the words takes a bit more time than just reading them.
- Say your verse out loud. Especially if you learn best by listening this will help you remember your verse.
- After you write out your verse, cover each word and practice saying the words one by one until you memorize your verse.
- Download the free app, Bible Memory: Scripture Typer. Browse for verses by topic and practice typing the verse word for word. As you get better at memorizing the verse, words from the verse will disappear and you will need to remember which words are missing and fill them in correctly. On the highest level, you type out the entire verse.
- Print out a coloring sheet and color in your verse. Since coloring takes longer than just writing, you can meditate on your verse more. Bonus! You will have a great picture to hang up somewhere to remind you of your verse. Check out my Pinterest board Bible Verse Coloring Pages for a list of suggestions. If you would like a printable page for John 1:5, click on the link below.
I know that the 15 minutes you spend on memorizing Bible verses each day will be time well spent! What are some verses you want to memorize this year?